Risotto with asparagus
Preparation time: 40 minutes
2 1/2 cups rice
1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
1 lbs. fresh green asparagus
extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup freshly ground parmesan
about 6-7 cups vegetable broth if you can find it
otherwise use chicken broth
1. Wash and trim off the tough end of the asparagus,
leaving the tips and the tender part of the stalk.
2. Put the stalks in a pan of water leaving the tips
out. When the water starts to boil add salt.
3. Cook the asparagus until tender. Cook the tips
only for the last few minutes since they are more
tender and cook quickly.
4. Remove the asparagus tips and chop the stalks in
small pieces and cook them for a few minutes in 1-1/2
Tbsp. butter. Cook the tips apart in 1 Tbsp. butter
(don't brown them!).
5. Put the asparagus stalks through a vegetable ricer
and then blend them in a food processor to make a
smooth sauce. Just set the tips aside for now.
6. In the meantime heat up a pan with 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
+ 1 Tbsp. olive oil and add the chopped onions. Cook
them until soft and translucent. If they get too dry
add few spoons of water or broth.
7. When the onions are ready add the rice, combine
it well with the onions and butter, and toast it for
about 2-3 minutes at high heat.
8. Then add the asparagus sauce and a cup of broth
to the rice and mix it in well.
9. Once the rice has absorbed the sauce add about
2 cups hot broth and reduce the heat to medium (canned
broth should work well). Mix it frequently.
10. Continue adding broth a bit at a time until the
rice is nearly cooked. This will take practice since
every rice cooks differently.
11. When the rice is a few minutes from finished add
the asparagus tips
and mix well.
12. After a minute or so add 2 Tbsp. butter and the
from the stove, cover the pan with the lid and let
it stand for few minutes.